Monday 15 December 2014

Post 25: Differences between the principle deliverables & Introducing Matthew Tomlin

Today’s post wraps up the 3 month trial of the first CCMC Editors’ Blog.  We hope that the topics covered have helped you get a better insight into the drafting rules.  These rules cover the drafting not only of European Standards (EN), but also Technical Specifications (TS), Technical Reports (TR) and other deliverables.  However, you may be asking yourselves, what are the main differences between these three deliverables?  And which should I use?  Well, below are a few explanations and tips.

This is what our rules say (extracts from the CEN-CENELEC Internal Regulations Part II ‘Common Rules for Standardization Work’:
 
 
  
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


In terms of drafting therefore it is important to note that Technical Reports are documents that contain informative material, such as data, testing results and surveying results.
In addition, this table, that CCMC often uses in presentations, gives an outline of the main differences between the three deliverables. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
And finally, this blog has also given the possibility for you to get to know the CCMC Editors and each week they have introduced themselves.  I suppose it’s my turn now!
 
 
I’m Matthew Tomlin and I’m British, 36 years old and originally from Lancashire in the northwest of England.  I came to Belgium after graduating from University and I have been working here for 12 years now.  I often travel back to the UK where I am very fond of looking after my family’s Shetland ponies and being out in the countryside.  I also often travel to Sweden, having lived there in the past.  I studied languages at University and these days I am learning Albanian, which has rather a challenging grammar! 
What do I enjoy most about my job?  Well, CCMC is a fantastic place to work and I like the contact with our Members and Technical Body Secretaries.  Quality European Standards and a motivated, happy team are my main goals.  Earlier this year we started contacting Technical Bodies planning meetings in the CCMC Meeting Centre, asking if they needed some editing support.  Whilst being a small team of editors compared to the number of Technical Bodies and Working Groups, it is our aim to help at the early stages of the drafting process in order to help the overall development time and to avoid the late identification of problems in the texts of European Standards.  We will continue to make contact with Technical Bodies with specific drafting issues or questions to offer this support in 2015. 
I really hope that you have found this Blog informative and useful.  As for the next set of Blog posts?  Watch this space!  All that’s left for me to say is Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
 
© All CCMC posted information is copyrighted by CEN and/or CENELEC.  Extracts may be used providing that the source is mentioned.
Please note that the CCMC posted information is drawn from a variety of sources already publicly available on the CEN and CENELEC websites.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment